I truly believe parenting is more about parenting the parent rather than the child. If striving to be a godly parent, the Lord uses parenthood to challenge our ways of thinking, how we live and handle life. It exposes our sins and bad habits and weaknesses. We see ourselves, the good and the bad, in our children and are confronted with ugly truths about ourselves. It is in that confrontation, we make the decision to allow God to transform us so that we may teach our children a new way.
Our mind is the gateway for our actions. What we dwell upon is what we will act upon. If we feed our mind with God’s word, We will be more inclined to act in accordance to His Word. However, the same goes for the opposite. If we dwell upon what is of this world we will act like this world. What we hold onto in our mind is where our heart lies.
When we fail to guard our minds we put ourselves at risk. Satan is like a lion ready and waiting for someone to devour. We must stay vigilant and do away with our sinful desires that will entice us to stray away from God. We must continually seek to have our hearts and our minds transformed by the Lord so that we can test and approve His Holy and pleasing will.
We are blind to our enslavement of our sinful mind. We think our understanding and reasoning is wise and good but we are far from truth. It is only by the Holy Spirit that we can see clear the path that the Lord has laid ahead. It is only through the spirit that we can gain true wisdom and understanding. He says in proverbs 3:5-6, “trust in the Lord with all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight.”
As parents, we try to do what is best for our children, but if we ourselves do not have the mind of Christ we cannot do what is best for them. We must first surrender our ideas of good and pick up what is good in Christ. We must lay the template of Christ upon our children in preparation for their minds to be transformed by him. Place Holy and pleasing things before them that will build them up in Christ. Guard hearts from what is evil and share with them the knowledge and wisdom that God has shared with you so when the day comes and He knocks upon the hearts they are prepared to open the door.
We must not allow ourselves to become fooled by the worlds way of doing things. It is easy to see the “logic” behind human reasoning but it is godly understanding we must seek. In all of this, it is impossible to do ourselves. We must first seek Christ and not become wise in our own eyes. Acknowledge our lack of understanding and ask for wisdom and it will be given. Be humble in spirit constantly striving toward the eternal prize. Let everything we do and what we say be a testimony of the power of God that resides inside of us. We were not placed here to live as we wish to live but to live as Christ lives so that we may be witnesses to all. Walk in His grace and peace claiming his name because we have been made new. We are raising the next the generation of believers, servants of Christ. Let us be the example of a transformed life. Living the words we preach so that even we fail, because we will, we will still be pointing them to Christ because it is Christ who restores us.
- “Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” Matthew 6:21
- “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8
- “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2
- “Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.” Romans 8:5-8
- “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6
- “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 11:18-19
- “Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.” Proverbs 3:7