Since I was a teenager, I knew I was called to be a mother and raise godly children. There was no doubt in my mind that was the task God had given me in life. Still to this day, I believe with 110% certainty.
As I stepped into motherhood, I soon found out this task was extremely difficult. The more children I had the more difficult it got. I was simply surviving life. I was exhausted and overwhelmed by my blessings but I just kept pushing forward because well…it was my calling. I was made for this wasn’t I?
I would pray for rest but I refused to slow down because there was always something to do. I would pray for help but I wouldn’t release control of expectations. I was frustrated and I was angry and I was overwhelmed. I felt defeated all too often because I would constantly fail to meet my expectations and I felt lonely because I felt like my husband didn’t meet my expectations. It was a miserable state to be in.
But God in his kindness and gentleness sent road blocks along my path to catch my attention. He taught me to focus on Him not my calling. He taught me to work from His strength and not my own. He taught me the crucial need for rest and letting go of my expectations for my life, for myself, and for my marriage. I began to adopt a much slower pace of life. My calendar may have many things on it but the intensity of each task has slowed. I can trust that everything does not have to be completed right away. That it will all be handled in his timing. It has opened me up to enjoy life to enjoy my family and to live in the present with an eternal mindset rather than just living on the edge of survival.
Walking with Christ in your calling VS Being Drug Behind your Calling
Mindset While Being Drug Behind Your Calling
- It has to be done ASAP
- I’m tired but I have no time to rest there is too much to do
- It needs to be done NOW
- I’m alone if no one is with me
- I’m overwhelmed with stuff to do
- I’m so busy
- I’m just surviving
- Everything else can wait but I have to complete this task
- If only people would understand
- I can’t do this anymore
- The calling comes before the quiet time with the Lord
- I must push forward no mater what
- I’m afraid of failing
Your Mindset While Walking With Christ in your calling
- “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
- “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
- ““Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”” Matthew 11:28-30
- “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:1-4
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14
- “He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered.” PROVERBS 28:26
- “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
The greatest feeling is when we have surrendered up control and begin to rest in the Lord presence. We begin to experience peace, contentment, strength, perseverance and joy. We go from simply surviving to keep up to stepping intentionally on the path the Lord has for us. This change does not come easily and it is not a one and done thing. It is a every day surrender sometimes a minute by minute surrender but we can be assured if we are walking with the Lord he cares for us the entire way. He does not push forward while dragging us behind him.